Saturday, July 16, 2011

Year 2 - Day 196 - July 16






I have been reading many, many e-books lately. It started with the realization that the iPad's light doesn't keep Mike up at night. Once a week or so I peruse the free Amazon e-books. I also download from NetGalley as well as the library's Overdrive. This is a selection of what I've read in recent days. The only one that I'd put in the really GOOD category is the top one, Hotel on the Corner of Bitter & Sweet. My book club is reading the book for July, but the meeting is while we are gone so I'll miss it. It's the story of a Chinese-American man who was a child in Seattle during WWII. He attended a mostly white school in a time where many Americans didn't trust people with an Asian face and his best friend was a Japanese-American girl. The story flip flops between his childhood and later in his life...I don't remember if they gave an actual age, but his son is in college. I didn't find many parts of the story surprising, but it was a pleasant read. The other 3 were all free Amazon books and I read them quickly. The nurse one is full of super short stories/memories by ICU nurses, the paramedic one is similar to a journal where the author tells quick stories about his earlier years as a paramedic, and Eyewall read like a Sci Fi original movie. What would happen if a category 5 hurricane hit the Georgia barrier islands with no warning? It wasn't super high quality literature, but it'd probably make an ok movie of the week. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment