Friday, July 1, 2011

Year 2 - Day 181 - July 1

It's Friday! I had one small thing on the calendar this morning for a couple hours, and then the rest of the day was mine, mine, mine. I actually think I enjoy the free time more when there's a little bit of something scheduled. I am too good at wasting time when there's nothing to do and nowhere to go.


This is the book of the day. I thought it was going to be long because the print was really tiny, but it went quickly. I started it just before Mike got home from work and finished it before he got home from the gym & driving range. I think I read about the book in an article in the NYTimes about summer reading, but I'm not positive. I put things on my wish list at the library and then I get emails when they're in...but by that point I've forgotten why I requested them! It makes every book a surprise, I suppose.


In the first chapter of this book, Alice is having a dream about floating in a pool. She dreams of her husband, and he sounds like a pretty nice guy, and thinks of how excited they are for their first kid to be born. When she opens her eyes, she is confused. The people around her tell her she fainted during spin class and hit her head. Her friends & the gym people are asking all the silly questions people ask when you hit your head...what day is it, what year is it, who's the president, that kind of stuff. It's then that you realize it's actually 10 years later. Alice isn't pregnant, she has a 10 year old. She isn't 29, she's getting ready to turn 40. It's pretty much a "chick lit" book, but it's interesting. What if you woke up tomorrow with today's brain and memories but everyone around you had lived 10 more years of life? I liked it, but it definitely didn't qualify as serious reading. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment