Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Year 2 - Day 234 - August 23

Today is a day that I will remember for a very long time! As everyone knows, we had an earthquake. It was crazy. I'm really glad that nobody was seriously hurt and there wasn't any very serious damage because I thought it was amazing to experience it (honestly didn't think I'd ever find myself in an earthquake) and if it had been more awful, I'd feel guilty about it. It took me about half of the 10-15 seconds to figure out it was an earthquake. In my classroom, we often hear people walking on the roof. That's what I thought it was first, at the rumbling stage. Then when the banging started, I thought it was a whole CREW on the roof. Finally, we started rolling side to side. The computers were rocking, the projector was shaking, and the tree outside my window was going nuts. That's the moment I figured out it was an earthquake. I'll admit, when the principal said "We have no confirmation it was an earthquake" on the intercom, I thought for a moment that it could have been a bomb or something terrorism related. But I jumped on usgs.gov and confirmed the earthquake theory. Wowza, indeed. I was amused at the pictures on facebook showing the "horrible damage" from the quake. Here's some snapshots of the devastation in our home. First, at the top, you see the picture frames that slid off their holders. How sad.

Right next to them, Mr. Blue M&M wound up on the floor. (He's usually up on the desk.)
In my mind, it's like Toy Story and he rode his motorcycle down the ramp of the roll top desk. ;)

Upstairs was a little more sad.
The hutch on the dresser in the guest room isn't attached, it just sits on top of the dresser. There was a wooden sign (hard to see on top shelf because it's on its side now) that fell over and made things fall off the shelf.
R2D2 seems ok, but poor Darth. He is all broken to pieces. :( I was amused to see that Darth's head was holding Mike's boutonniere from our wedding, too.

Ok, enough about the earthquake. The picture of the day SHOULD be my huge smiling face! My original appointment for my mole biopsy results was for Wednesday, tomorrow, after school. My anxiety has been seriously high all 2 weeks. I have not been sleeping well, I've been hormonal and emotional and not handling anything very well. It is just stressful. I go through a lot of medical stuff and I get frustrated when I don't get answers, but I have never been as terrified as I have been for the last 13 days. It was getting in the way of living my life. So this morning, (pre-earthquake) I called the office & asked if I could get in today at the end of the day. They said yes. Whew! Even better, we got to go home early because of the quake, so I was at the office early and they took me early. The guy I saw said the most beautiful words - "It's not skin cancer." Whew. I lost 20 pounds right there. I got a little teary, too. But then I had a rational conversation with him. He was great. I liked him more than the girl who did the biopsy. However, she did a good job with it. The mole was a little irregular, but the lab showed the margins were clear. (That was written in bold, underline print with 2 ** right next to it. That's what you want it to say!) He was very calming and made me rational again. I wanted to go out and skip! Now I can sleep! PLUS, they already canceled school for tomorrow so that they can inspect the buildings, so I can *really* sleep! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment