Sunday, August 21, 2011

Year 2 - Day 232 - August 21

This pic is blurry because I had to put the phone down and start driving when a car came up behind me!

Once upon a time, this road was 45 mph. One day last October, the speed limit people decided to make it only 40 mph. I learned this when I was pulled over and got a warning. When he said the speed limit was 40, my jaw may have dropped. I drove by the speed limit sign about an hour later and noticed it had recently been replaced. My clues were the bright new wood post and the giant pile of dirt next to it. That whole weekend and many weekends after that, the cops lived in a clearing and gave warnings to EVERYONE. They got the point across.

While we were on vacation in July, there was a fatal accident on this stretch of road.

Surprisingly, when we got home from vacation, I noticed that the sign had been replaced again and that the speed limit was back UP to 45 mph.

Even more surprisingly was the next day, when I drove the other direction on the road and saw that it was still labeled as 40 mph. So if you were going north you could go 45 mph but coming back south was only 40mph on the exact same stretch of flat, straight road. This drove me nuts.

Today, I was coming home from the grocery store and realized that BOTH signs are now back up to 45mph.

Weird, and even weirder that the rise in speed limit would come so soon after a fatal accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment