Saturday, September 24, 2011

Year 2 - Day 266 - September 24

Today is the day I affectionately refer to as "Brain Tumor Day." In reality, it's Johns Hopkins Pituitary Patient Education Day. My mother & I have come for the past 3 years. A whole bunch of different doctors in the Pituitary department (surgeons, radiologists, endocrinologists, lab people, etc) all do both formal and informal talks with the patients. You don't even have to be one of their official patients to come, AND it's free. It's held at the Hopkins Conference Center in Mount Washington and comes with a yummy lunch too. My mom's doctors at Hopkins have always impressed me, but at this thing the one guy really impresses me. Even with all the random people being seen sort of out of context, he knows personal information about all of them. In addition to having every number in every chart memorized, he knows personal things about them. For example, when my mom asked a question about something, he answered her and mentioned her rowing. (Granted, she doesn't row now since she's living in the desert, but it's impressive that he could make that connection.) Another guy asked a question about his wife, and the Dr. mentioned the girl's blood pressure numbers when answering the question.

Since the program was very similar year 1 & year 2, I chose to sit in the lobby and grade college papers today for the morning sessions. This guy was our security guard. I felt very secure, because he spent 29 minutes on Facebook and then on the hour and half hour he stood up, walked to the door, and looked left & right before sitting back down. VERY secure. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment