Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Year 2 - Day 248 - September 6

Tuesday night is class night. Even though the class is 3 hours a week, I'm definitely putting major hours into it. It's fun though, because I'm using my brain in a totally different way. It's exhausting getting home late though.

With this week being the 10 anniversary of 9/11, lots of people will be sharing "Where were you?" stories. However, today's September 6, a much happier day in our city's history.

I prefer to think, where were you on September 6, 1995? Sixteen years ago tonight, Cal broke Lou Gehrig's streak with 2131 consecutive games played. I wasn't there. I was working at Music & Arts until 9, and then raced home. Luckily, the excitement wasn't until the middle of the 5th inning (since the O's were winning, thank you pitcher Mike) and I made it with just a little time to spare. I taped the excitement on both our local sports channel (HTS at the time which has since morphed into MASN) and ESPN. What a wonderful night. I had goosebumps, and I still do when I see footage of Cal's victory lap. In addition to Cal's excitement, the Orioles were SO GOOD back then!

I was however at the game the night before, when he tied the record at 2130. That's one of my few tee shirts that survived the "cut them all up to make a quilt some day" massacre. My now husband was there too, just a couple sections over from where we were sitting!

1 comment:

  1. The game we went to was absolutely the best baseball game I've ever attended, as I had brand-spanking-newly-unbraced teeth (yes, we'll let that be an adjective for my teeth!) :-)

    -S

    ReplyDelete