Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Our First Solo Day

I know it may seem pathetic to some, but today, one day short of the little guy being a month old, was our first solo day together. At first we had 3 adults (the two of us and my mom) to get through the days and nights. Then Mike went back to work and my mom stayed for a week to help over night and keep me company during the day. Then she left, but Mike was home for his (perpetually) 3 day weekend through yesterday. So today was it!

I was glad it was a Tuesday, because we had "baby breakfast." (Name coined by Tracie!) It's the breastfeeding support group at our hospital. In addition to having them help me figure out the ins and outs of bf, it's nice to visit with other new, overtired, bewildered, getting-used-to-being-a-milk-machine-instead-of-a-commuting-professional-for-awhile moms.

Our morning started before 5 with our first meal. About 4.5 hours of sleep in a row. Woohoo! While the little guy ate, Mike left for work. Afterwards, I put him back in the crib and went back to bed. I'm not sure if he ever fell all the way back asleep because I heard a little squeaking, but he wasn't looking for me so I napped for awhile. By 7 we were downstairs killing time. After we played in the rainforest gym for awhile, it was time to eat again and then get ready to go. Thankfully, he was willing to take a quick nap in his chair outside the bathroom door while I showered. He was upset for a minute or two but the hairdryer coming on made him happy again. I got him ready and out the door and we were even on time! After group, we ran to Babies R Us and Staples to grab a couple things and then came home and collapsed.

The hardest thing is still lifting him in the seat. I did sucessfully get him into the car, onto the stroller  to wheel him from the parking lot to hospital, and then from car to store's shopping cart twice. But I'm paying the price now. I think my stitches are mostly dissolved but I still have some pain and at times it's pretty bad. Lifting is harder on that area of the body than you'd think. Just him is ok, but him and the seat is hard. I'm ready for that to be easier!

So then we spent the afternoon rotating between nap time and awake time while watching Opening Day and GH's 50th anniversary. Finally Mike got home around 7, just in time to hold the baby while I stirred the pasta. By the time we ate dinner and did bath time, it was almost time for Mike to go to bed again!

Tomorrow we do it all over again, minus the errands. Less social interaction, but more napping. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment