Saturday, June 25, 2011

Year 2 - Day 175 - June 25

Years ago, I heard rumor of a Mormon musical being developed by the South Park and Avenue Q people. I didn't think much of it, and didn't hear more details, so I forgot about it. Then, late in 2010 the buzz started up again. I don't really care for South Park but I think Avenue Q is hilarious and clever and smart. The broadway message boards had almost universally good things to say about the Book of Mormon in previews, and that is pretty rare. The day after the official opening in March, all the news sites blew up with positive reviews and I convinced Mike we had to get tickets that day. It's good we did - because ticket prices have gone up twice!!! We spent $99 on seats in the balcony for today's show, but now they're going for $155. Ouch!

The show is great. It's dirty, and vulgar, and has the worst language I think I've ever heard in song. However, it's in context, so for some reason you just go with it. What I wasn't expecting was it to have such a sweet and wholesome message about friendship and faith. That was the most surprising thing about the whole experience. I bought the album a few weeks ago when it was on sale for $1.99 but held off listening to it so that I'd be surprised by the storyline. I'm glad I did. The basic gist is that two Mormon missionaries who don't know each other very well go to Africa for their mission and have to find a way to spread the news of their religion, knowing nothing of real life in Africa. How do you help people and share your faith with people who have lost all of theirs?

No comments:

Post a Comment