Sunday, June 24, 2012

Year 3 - Day 176 - June 24

Oops. It's sideways. Oh well.

This is another BES book for this year. (I like to read them in the summer before we got back so I can book talk them early.)

Another historical fiction book, another girl main character. This one is set during WWII. The girl longs to grow up and be a fighter jet pilot. Her dad believes she can do anything whereas the rest of the town kind of rolls their eyes at her. Of course dad gets called off to war after Pearl Harbor and shortly after that, a Japanese American boy comes to town. At first she's glad he's there because the bullies pick on the boy instead of her. An unlikely friendship ensues and I really thought that was going to be the heart of the story.

It was, until the book turned into a terrible Indiana Jones movie at the end. (I seriously compared it to the most recent one, where the UFO comes out of the ground. There was no UFO in the book, but it was JUST ABOUT that unbelievable.)

I'm curious to see the kids reaction when they read. I wonder if they'll think it's a great adventure story or if they'll be rolling their eyes too. (I never tell them when I roll my eyes at one of the BES books, because I hate the skew the voting!)

No comments:

Post a Comment