Thursday, June 14, 2012

Year 3 - Day 166 - June 14

Sorry, squeamish people. He was supposed to take a picture of the cool view outside of my pre-op room, but somehow this showed up instead. Gross. But you should know that I didn't even wince when I got it placed. Go me! Every time I need an IV, I ask (in all seriousness) if the procedure is going to hurt more than the IV. Because I HATE IV's. I think part of the problem is that whenever I need one, it means I'm going to sleep, which means I haven't had anything to drink since before midnight. So yesterday, I super super hydrated. I figured if I started off super full of liquid, maybe I wouldn't get all the way to parched by 9am. Maybe it worked, because this one was a breeze. I still don't like them though. Seems so silly to take an hour to ask me a million questions, put in the IV, and then sit there waiting to be asleep for 15 minutes. Since this was a minor thing, I actually walked into the OR instead of getting wheeled. First, I saw doctors scrubbing in. I asked if they were really going to come in with their hands up like they do on TV and they promised me they would. (I fell asleep before getting to see it!) Then when I got in there, the table was set up with the arms out to the side - execution table in the movies style. I made a comment about that and they all laughed, but I wasn't kidding! So after the hour plus in pre-op and 15 minute nap, I got to spend an hour in post-op with ginger ale and graham crackers. Want to know a secret? In case you ever have to be knocked out? They let you leave as soon as you ask to pee. They even crank up your IV when you're done to super flush you to make you ask for the bathroom. But if you ask sooner, they get you up and ready to go. I just forgot this time until I had been sitting there for awhile. Last time, the nurse reminded me of that just before they put me under. That should be the last thing they say to you every time! But still, just conk me on the head with a frying pan, cartoon character style. Let the birdies fly around my head, do your thing, and wake me up. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment