Saturday, April 30, 2011

Year 2 - Day 119 - April 30

I finished watching the Kennedys mini-series on demand today.  I started watching it last weekend when I had a couple days off for Easter and Mike was working, but didn't have time to watch TV for the rest of the week.  Today, Mike's off playing with friends so I had a few hours to lay on the couch and do nothing. 

It was fun to watch, who knows how much of it is really true though.  I had a hard time with the fake Boston accents - I think it would have been better to leave them out because I wouldn't have noticed them missing as much as I noticed how bad they were. With the hairstyle & clothes, Katie Holmes turned into Jackie quite easily.  I wasn't as familiar with most of the other actors.  I know there was a lot of discusson about how real the show was, leading to it getting dropped from a mainstream cable channel and getting pushed to "Reelz" which we don't even get.  Some people say it was dropped because of how fake it was, others argue that it hit too close to home and changed channels to hide it from more viewers.

Regardless, it was entertainment.  I thought it was odd that half of the Kennedy children were never mentioned.  They talked about how many kids they had, but the only ones we saw were the brother who died in the war, JFK, RFK, and a sister who institutionalized.  Really? A mini series about the Kennedys where Teddy isn't even on screen?  Weird.  Anyway, the person who wrote it was apparently of the mind set that RFK was the greatest person to ever live.  They painted him as the the good husband, brother, son, & father, all around hero and fixer of all JFK's (and Jackie's for that matter) problems - all the way to his dying breath. 

I'm sure it will win awards for Mini series ... so maybe that 20 minutes of the Emmys won't be so boring next year. 99% of the time I haven't even heard of the shows nominated in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment