Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Day 209 - July 28

I have gotten so used to eating with my husband at a normal dinner time over the past couple weeks that it's been hard to readjust to his getting home late this week.  And tonight I am going to try out a local book club (Hopefully they're nice - I liked the book!) so I'll be gone before he gets back.

We haven't had real Mac & Cheese in a long time because it isn't really a hot weather food, but it was something I could make that we could both eat whenever we had a chance so that's what we decided on.  I've been dreading the cooking all day because the last 2 times I made it, I caused a huge kitchen mess.  Here's where my brain block is.  99% of the time, I use the biggest of my 3 pots (on the left in the picture) to do the pasta in.  Therefore, when I'm starting the water for the pasta for Mac & cheese, I grab it by habit. But that is not good!  When making mac & cheese, the biggest pot needs to be the cheese and milk and butter.  Why?  Because then you add the pasta to that pot later, and you only need to de-cheese one pot during clean up time.  Also because the milk will quickly boil over the smaller pot.  I know this now.

And today I did it right.  Finally.  I'm not an idiot, I have no idea why my brain was refusing to play along on those two previous occasions, but I'm glad it worked today!

No comments:

Post a Comment