Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Year 2 - Day 123 - May 4

This week, (Ok, well, this afternoon for a few hours) I read Two Kisses for Maddy by Matt Logelin.  I'm familiar with Matt's blog and twitter feed and have looked forward to reading this book for some time.  Matt blogged about the writing process as he created the book which definitely upped the anticipation factor for me. 

The story is sad, but sweet.  On March 28, 2008, Matt's wife Liz gave birth to their first child, a tiny baby girl named Madeline.  Just one day later, Liz died from a blood clot in her lung, leaving Matt alone to raise his new daughter.  Considering how scared I am as the prospect of raising a child someday with a husband, I can't even imagine how sad and difficult of a situation Matt found himself in.  I enjoyed the book because he doesn't spend hundreds of pages talking about he feels sorry for himself.  He shares true feelings of anger and sadness, but he also tells great stories about the love he has for both his daughter and his wife, and how he has to suck it up and do things he doesn't want to do because he's determined that Maddy have experiences that she would have shared with her mother.  A particularly cute one was the fact that he took her on a ski lift ride even though he's terrified of heights.  To me, who is also scared to death of those things, THAT is love. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment