Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 7 - January 7


This isn't meant to be an artistic picture, of course. It's symbolizing something I witnessed today. This is the foot of one of my students. He has no idea why I asked to take a picture of his foot. :) Luckily, I'm the yearbook photographer and therefore I take lots of random pictures all the time and nobody thinks I'm (too) weird!

Anyway, so why did I take a picture of his foot?

I was in the office this morning, putting things in mailboxes, when this kid and his little sister were brought in a couple hours late by dad. As per the usual, the secretary chirped "Ok guys! Say bye to Dad while he signs you in and head down to class!" This happens all the time. The kids bolt (if they're young) and mosey (if they're older). Occasionally a little one lets Mom or Dad hug them one more time.

Today, Dad got down on his knees at eye level for the little sister. And looked at her. Like, REALLY looked at her. And she got teary eyed pretty quickly. I got that feeling that this wasn't a "see you at 3:30" goodbye. Then, he hugged the boy. 5th grade. Big kid. Almost crying. Dad was almost crying. I know the family, and Dad came back from his last deployment about a year ago, so I got a pit in my stomach.

The kids composed themselves, said "bye" and walked toward the door. Then, they turned around and ran back into his arms.

Then, the part that made me cry. The boy turned around and said, "Be safe, Dad."

Wow. We wished Dad well on his journey. We felt guilty being there for the moment, but I'm pretty sure it was the most meaningful dad-kid moment I've witnessed.

I want to remember that moment. So, I decided to make it today's picture by snapping a shot of his shoe. :) Nobody else knows whose foot it is ... but I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment