Friday, January 29, 2010

Day 29 - January 29th

 

Don't worry, I took this once I got to work and was sitting in the parking lot. :)  When I got my new car, I became a happy subscriber to XM Radio.  My favorite channel is 75 - the Broadway channel!  I enjoy the DJ that does almost all 24 hours of programming - he seems to know everyone in the Broadway world.  In addition to the songs, there are interviews with people in various shows which is cool because a broadway performer is rarely going to show up on Letterman. :)  
However, the channel is EXTREMELY repetitive.  I don't know why.  There are hundreds of shows to choose from, and each album has lots of songs.  They even throw some movie soundtracks into the mix - I have heard Broadway Annie songs and also Movie Annie songs.  So why is it the same songs so frequently?  Perhaps that's the problem behind having mostly one DJ do all the programming.  He's bound to have his favorites.  

In the beginning, during any given ride to or from school I knew about 1/3 the songs by heart, about 1/3 of the songs I was familiar with, and 1/3 were obscure.  But now that I've been listening for 6 months those lines are blurred.  I know almost all the songs - but not necessarily because I am familiar with the show.  Just because they get played so often.

At first, I thought he was trying to get the word out about old-school stuff, rather than playing new hits.  In 6 months I have only heard a Rent song 3 times - and 2 of those times it was Seasons of Love.  Wicked is on about once a week, but it's always the first song from the 2nd act which is stupid and practically not really a song at all.  I've heard Spring Awakening 2 times.  BUT, Shrek is on all the time and it's all different songs.  I dunno.

So anyway, I was happily surprised to hear "Popular" from Wicked on the radio just as I got to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment