Friday, February 25, 2011

Year 2 - Day 56 - February 25

Another book that I re-read this week prepping for voting weekend.  I really hope this one makes the list, too. 

Of course I knew about the famous sit in at the lunch counter.  I learned about it in more than one year of school.

However - I didn't know that it happened right here in Baltimore until I heard the protests about the fact that someone wants to demolish the building where it happened.  I felt really dumb that I didn't know.  It's amazing that growing up in one of the "newer" Baltimore suburbs gave me a completly different history than people who grew up in the more established suburbs.  Our area didn't have the "hon" thing, the strong accent, and apparently we didn't know that much about the goings on in our very nearby city.  It's amazing that we lived less than 25 minutes from downtown, and were a world away.

No comments:

Post a Comment