Saturday, January 18, 2014

Revising my last post


After a tweet from a friend, I went back and updated my last post with a status of each item. (Status meaning whether we bought it or received it as a gift, whether we would have purchased it ourselves if we had not received it as a gift, and which things we would consider getting used.) I’m not against used items at all and visited yard sales weekly in the late spring and early fall. However I have only purchased one thing from a consignment store. I find that in order to make sure the seller and the store earn money from a sale, the prices are higher than I am interested in paying for used items. At yard sales, I tend to pay between 1/5 and 1/7 of the store price. Consignment gear (not counting clothes and books here, just gear) tends to be much more than that. Most people on Craigslist lean towards consignment prices too. They’ll advertise their price vs the store price and think that makes it sound like a deal. (I say to them - It is – but I have to clean and sanitize yours and if you had a dog or if you smoke that’s too much work for me.)During the fall of 2012 when I was pregnant and yard sales were happening, I wasn’t pregnant enough to feel safe buying things. When it was time to register, have showers, and purchase things, it was not yard sale season. This affected what we bought new vs used to an extent as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment