Saturday, January 25, 2014

Baby Gear Review - Bathtime, Toys, Clothes, & the Misc Things

Bathtime:

Baby Tub: We use this every other day (and more on pukey weeks). We have a basic plastic model with one end contoured to recline the baby and the other end is a little deeper so he can sit up in it. It also has a sling that we used in the beginning. I guess you could do it in the sink, but I would have felt the need to wash the sink before and after each bath, and that would have been a pain. We put the baby tub in the big tub. I’d put this in a must buy category, HOWEVER, I would never pay store price for this. Some places want $20 or more for the basic model! We even saw one that I joked about being like something out of an American Girl catalog with jets and sprayers. (Confession – a friend was handed down that fancy one and I can’t wait to see if it works as advertised) (Status: I paid $2 at a yard sale. Probably would have paid $5.)

2nd Baby Tub: He’s getting close to growing out of the baby tub, but when slippery with soap, he could easily fall down so we don’t want him in the big hard tub yet. I bought an inflatable duck tub (basically like a baby pool) to use next. I'm also planning on packing the duck if we vacation in a hotel before he's older. (Status: bought new because it wasn’t much money and inflatable things that get wet are usually a little gross used. They tend to look like they were put away wet and have yucky spots.)

Baby Towels: I wish I had known that the cute ones are a waste of money. They don’t absorb water past a few drops and it can take 2 towels to dry the baby even when it’s new. I’d recommend either using an adult towel or buying one better, thicker, baby one. We happen to have a Cookie Monster one with a hood. The hood doesn’t fit his head, but the towel is good and absorbent. I feel bad that I registered for and received some of the standard cute baby ones and don’t use them often.  (Status: received many as gifts. Feel bad. Only use Cookie.)

Baby Bathrobe – I didn’t get one. They are SO CUTE hanging there in the bath section with their little matching baby slippers. But we get him out of the tub, put him in the towel, dry him off, and diaper/dress him. There’s not time for a robe and another outfit change. (Status: Don’t own. Glad I don’t because it wouldn’t get used even though THEY ARE SO ADORABLE.)

Baby washcloth sets – We have two types – a thinner set made by Carters that match the cute towels, and a set that is thicker that is BRU brand. The BRU brand has different fabric as the actual cloth and the border because the first time we washed and dried them everything changed size. We went through 10+ of these things at the beginning. We used them as bibs when we only used bibs for feeding, we used them for spit up, drool, face wipes, diaper changing shields, bathtime, etc. Now we only use them during bath time and for that we could use a regular adult washcloth. (Status: received as gift. Useful. Would probably have purchased one pack new and used ones we had. When we were using 10+ a day for awhile there, I thought we could never have too many. Now we have too many.) I’m not into buying these and towels used because I find that towels get a little funky after years of use and washes.)

Misc/Etc.

Diaper Bag – We got a Fisher Price brand one from BRU. It has a ton of pockets including most importantly (to us) an insulated one that holds ice packs and bottles. I know many people make this their splurge, but I just wanted a zipper on top and lots of pockets. Beyond that, the label or look didn’t matter to me. (Status: purchased ourselves, new, for the features we wanted. Would not have bought used unless I decided I wanted a fancy brand and found a deal.)

Cover for seat under car seat – This has done a great job of keeping my back seats from getting messed up from the carseat being strapped tightly to them. They have a rubbery grip to keep the carseats from sliding, too. If you don’t care what happens to your seats then it’s not a necessary item. I have leather seats in my car, and want to keep them as nice as I can to resell or trade in the future. (Status: Received as gift. Would have purchased one for my car but not for his car. In fact I don’t think his car has one. Would have considered used.)

Medicine kit – Eye dropper, nail clippers, baby toothbrush, medicine spoon and dropper, etc. – We’ve used many things in here and it does seem to be pretty complete. We haven’t gotten anything more than an extra thermometer so it must have everything we need. (Status: received as gift. Would have purchased it or something similar.)


Diaper rash cream – Burts Bees is expensive, but it works the best out of the 3 we got as gifts. Well, it worked the best on the 1 rash he’s had. I can say that at least. J (status: received as gift. Bought more when I ran out.)

Thermometer - Two different doctors recommended the Braun ear one when I asked whether they thought we should get an ear one or a scan the forehead one. So that's what we got. (Status: purchased ourselves. New.)

Toys - We got lots of cute little things new as gifts, and people bought him Christmas presents, but I think we've only purchased him a couple new toys and that was during Black Friday and surrounding sales. This is where we save the most money buying used. But again, I have found that yard sales have been more fruitful. I went to a local consignment sale and people were asking more for their jumperoo than Amazon wants on a regular day. We got the Little Tykes activity garden in great condition for just $10 at a yard sale, and a train table for $20. I do follow a couple local consignment shops deals once in awhile because there are some things that are really hard to find (A cozy coupe in good condition, for one!) at yard sales. In October I almost jumped on a Push Behind Buggy for $30 because I wanted one so badly, but BFAds told me that 2 stores would have it for $25 on Black Friday. So they're not off my radar completely!

Clothes - I think this is where a consignment store could definitely come in handy. If labels are something that makes you happy, then you will find fantastic deals at consignment stores as well as places like TJ Maxx and Marshalls. There's a reason that clothes from baby stores like Gymboree are more money - they definitely hold up better. Rather than pay crazy prices, you could dress in last season's collections for super cheap. I am lucky and have had to buy very few clothes thanks to being at the end of a generous hand me down chain at school but I keep my eye on prices and I always look for fun!

Clothes Sizing From What I've Experienced: Carters runs long and skinny. Their standard cotton fits more true to size than their 'kakhi's' and other material pants. (They're even longer.) Oshgosh tends to be shorter legs. Circo (Target) is bigger. Gerber is tiny. (SUPER tiny.) Gymboree runs smallish and has odd sizes. Old Navy has big sizes (6-12 months is a big difference) in babies. Children's Place is wider in onesies and shirts but thinner in zip up PJs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment