Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Year 3 - Day 66 - March 6

I read this book after reading Danielle's review of it a couple weeks ago. I thought it started off excellent and really hooked me for awhile. However, I thought that the last section read like the author was tired of writing and was desperate to find a quick ending. The concept is interesting. In the future, prison is reserved for only the worst of the worst criminals. Other criminals spend a shorter time in jail but then are  injected with a virus that colors their skin a color that corresponds with their crime. After an STD spreads across the country rendering lots of people infertile, Roe v. Wade is reversed and women who have abortions can be convicted of murder. So, the main character is sentenced to being a red for having an abortion. The whole build up of the story really interested me and I couldn't put the book down. However, as it went on, I wasn't as engaged. I will say that it had hints of lots of other times in our history and I am sure the author picked red on purpose (Scarlet Letter, anyone?) but I wish the last portion had been more exciting.

No comments:

Post a Comment