Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Year 2 - Day 355 - December 21

I had read fun things about the show Revenge, but hadn't had enough time to add it into my rotation until recently. ABC decided to put all of the fall episodes online during the hiatus so that people could get caught up and start watching live when it comes back in January. (Genius move, if you ask me. They did it with Once Upon a Time as well, and now Pan Am is on iTunes for free as well.)

It's totally a night time soap, but I like it. I'm into this new style show where you get clues each week that help you figure out the bigger picture. I finally finished episode 10 tonight, so I'm all caught up and anxious for new episodes!

Here's a look back at my fall TV ...

Sunday:
Once Upon A Time - It's like Lost meets fairy tales. The residents of a town in Maine are actually all our favorite fairy tale characters under a spell, meaning they have no idea that they're fairy tale characters. Each week, we get the back story from their "once upon a time" character and see how that links to the role they play in the current day town. I am so happy that it's an ABC show, because they're sticking with a lot of the Disney-fied versions of fairy tales. I know that probably bothers some literature purists out there, but I am OK with the fact that the Disney versions are what I know best.

Dexter - This season was pretty weak. We figured out the twist early on and just confirmed our suspicions the whole time. Also, we predicted the ending scene although we originally predicted that it'd be NEXT season's ending scene. I am anxious to see how it will evolve from here, knowing there are just 24 episodes left until it's over.

Homeland - Holy cow this show is amazing. Everyone should win awards. It's about an American POW who has been imprisoned for years, and his re-entry into the world. However, Claire Danes is a CIA agent who believes the POW was turned in captivity and is actually working for the bad guys. There's a lot that we as viewers don't know, but there's a lot that we do know. It's amazing. Buy Showtime, watch all 10 episodes on demand, and then cancel Showtime if you have to. It's that good.

Good Wife - Since I watched the first two seasons on DVD this summer, I was happy to get to see it in real time. It's pretty much a serial and the same things happen every week, but that's ok. It's a good story. Juliana Margulies is so good in the role.

Hung - I liked the first two seasons of this HBO show, but season 3 was pretty dumb. So dumb, in fact, that I forgot about for weeks at a time and had to catch up on HBO Go. It's over though, and isn't getting renewed. No Big loss.

Monday:
HIMYM - This show has its ups and downs, but I enjoy it. I'm ok with the fact that isn't not all focused on finding the mother. I feel like it's the current day Friends, and that's just one part of the story. I like the way the writers keep gags going, like the slap bet and Barney's duck tie. When I was little, I used to get annoyed that something big would happen on a sitcom and then never get mentioned again so that it didn't matter what order you saw the episodes. I'm happy that that's changed over the years.

House - Another show that has its ups and downs, but I still like. As always, doctors leave and doctors show up, but House always saves the day. Except he doesn't ALWAYS save the day, so it's still surprising sometimes.

Castle - I think this show is decent, but predictable. I love that it's a cop show with humor though. Many of my friends are in love with Nathan Fillion so they all watched the show before I did. (I never find 10pm shows on my own because I'm asleep by then!) I think he's pretty funny and he does a great job with the character but he's not on my list of TV boyfriends. :)

Tuesday:
Glee - It's gotten more inconsistent as the years go by, but it's complete escapism so I like it. The music is almost always fun too. Red Solo Cup? Seriously? Hilarious.

Parenthood - I can't believe more people don't know about, watch, and love Parenthood. This show is about 3 generations of the Braverman family - grandparents, 4 sets of parents, and their kids ranging from baby to college. It's funny, it's real, and it's made by the Friday Night Lights people so it's adlibbed and natural conversation instead of totally scripted. The actors are all great, even the kids. The elementary school aged kids are some of my favorite characters. I can't believe it only has a mini-season this year. Horrible injustice to TV viewers!


Wednesday:
I don't watch anything on Wednesday. I know the rest of the world loves Modern Family, and I think it's fine, but I don't ever think to turn it on. Usually I catch up on the DVR from the other nights since they're so busy. (Of course when January comes I'll DVR Revenge on Wednesday!)

Thursday:
Big Bang Theory - We have watched this since the beginning. We liked it from day one, but I'm glad that the rest of the world is jumping on board!

Grey's Anatomy - It's been on forever, I know a lot of people have given up on it, but I like it. No, it's not realistic, but I'm ok with that.

Private Practice - Sometimes I like PP even more than Grey's.

Friday:
Chuck - We haven't really enjoyed Chuck this year, but we're sticking with it until the bitter end. I recently watched the Pilot because it was on my iPad and I couldn't believe how different everyone looked. Plus, I totally forgot that Matt Bomer was Bryce Larkin. :) And, the general was a different actor in the pilot!


Things missing from the fall:
White Collar - It comes back in January, but just for a little while. Most of it plays in the summer. It's my favorite USA filler show.

Suits - My 2nd favorite USA show. I love the bro-mance between the two main characters. They're great! I was so happy that one of them got a SAG award nomination!

Necessary Roughness - Another fun USA show. Dr. Dani got an award nomination last week, but I think the guy that plays the football player is fantastic.


Yes, I love TV. I've made peace with that fact. :) I don't love movies, and my husband will NEVER make peace with that fact. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment