Friday, March 4, 2011

Year 2 - Day 63 - March 4


UPDATE: I wrote this right when I finished the book.  Now it's a week later & I'm still thinking about it.  I think I didn't hate the book, I just hated the horrible closed mindedness of certain characters. I couldn't have really hated the book if I am still thinking about it this much. :) I tweeted Jodi those things, and she responded with thanks. :)

Original Posting:

I usually really enjoy Jodi Picoult books.  I'm not as surprised by the twists anymore, but mostly because I am just expecting a twist so I'm looking for it.  But I always have the release date on my calendar, I'm on the hold list at the library for months, and because my library is awesome, I get the book within a day or so of the release.  So even if I don't like them as much as I liked My Sisters Keeper the first time I read it, they're still something I look forward to.

However, I would go so far as to say I hated this book. (Sorry if you are googling me, Jodi.)  I won't give away any spoilers, so this entry is safe to read if you're planning on reading the book.

As with all the others, the story is told from multiple perspectives.  This time, it's a woman, her ex-husband who joined an insane church after their divorce, and her new girlfriend/partner.  The legal battle is between the ladies and the ex over who will have a baby with the frozen embryos left over from the couple's last cycle of IVF pre-divorce.

Now, politically and religiously, I am completely 100000% on the side of people being allowed to marry who they want, and 2 happy adults raising children, regardless of sexual orientation.  So, I think the closed minded-ness of half the characters is what ticked me off so much.  I also felt like the author rushed the endings & beginnings of relationships & other incidents in the book to make it all happen in a small time frame.  While I am supportive of a happy couple having kids, it seemed like they went from barely knowing each other to the lifetime committment & "lets have a family" pretty quickly. 

I did finish the book tonight after just reading a little bit last night, but I'll admit to skimming some just to get to the end.

A book I *would* like to read is everything that happened between the last chapter & the epilogue.  I felt like this whole book could have been a prologue.

No comments:

Post a Comment