Friday, August 10, 2012

Year 3 - Day 223 - August 10

Last week we got a phone call from the fire department asking for money. Early on in their spiel, they asked if we had tested the smoke detectors lately. I told them we had, but as I thought about it I wasn't sure the last time I had done it. I asked Mike and he wasn't sure either. So I bought 9V batteries at the grocery store over the weekend. They've been sitting on the kitchen table as a reminder to get around to it. I figured it would be a good idea to change them regardless because I know we haven't done that since we've been here.

Then yesterday during that crazy lunchtime storm, a house nearby caught fire after being struck by lightning. Figured it was definitely time to make sure our smoke detector was is working order. So I dragged a chair over and pushed the button.

Nothing.

Eek! How long have we been living without a working battery??

Took it off to change the battery and learned that it was a hard wired one - AND THE WIRES WERE CUT.

That means that we have been without one SINCE WE MOVED IN. No wonder I couldn't remember when I last tested it. I know you're supposed to always test when the time changes, but it would appear that I did not do that. Stupid stupid stupid.

I seriously almost jumped in the car at that moment and drove to 24 hour Walmart. But I didn't. Mike got them today.

Oye vey.

The better news of today is that it's BBQ Festival day! Last year we waited in line for 45 minutes. This year we went at 4:30 (it opens at 4) and beat the crowds. We drove there, parked, walked, picked a stand, ordered, ate, walked around a little and left...and it only took an hour. That's what we are doing from now on!!! We skipped the all you can drink soda from the cowboy wagon, but saved some time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment